[CentOS] logrotate broken on 4.1

scott.list

scott.list at mlec.net
Tue Aug 23 13:05:54 UTC 2005

Hi all:

logrotate is broken on my stock 4.1 install.  After hunting and
hunting I found there is a bug filed with Redhat on the issue.
logrotate fails becasue my /tmp partition is mounted noexec.  I
understand it is that way for security reasons.  The box in question
is on a dedicated hosting site and that's the way it was handed off to
me, built.

Some said setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp;export TMPDIR would fix it.  My
/var/tmp is not on a noexec partition so I'm good there.  Setting
TMPDIR however does not fix it.  I've tried adding the variable in
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate, I tried it after a prerotate inside the
actual syslog logrotate file, netiher worked.  I finally had to
remount /tmp and remove the noexec.  I have the stock 4.1 logrotate, I
understand some later versions *may* address the TMPDIR but I hate to
start straying off the stock/stable path since the main reason I am
running Centos4.1 is to have a stable server platform that is
maintained via yum update alone.

Has anyone fixed this on 4.1?  Or have a workaround besides setting
/tmp to exec or changing logrotate versions?

Thanks,
Soctt