[CentOS] Re: Linux Trademarked?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 23:23:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 17:46, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Err, I believe the problem is the other way.
> > The trademark prohibits the use of the name in the source.
>
> Huh?  I totally didn't understand what you even said.
>
> BTW, something isn't a trademark if it's not being referenced
> in a market context.

Isn't it up to the current owner of the trademark to decide whether
something that is visible at all is in a 'market context'?   The
current owner of the Linux trademark may not object to the name
being in a copyright statement and available source code which
clearly alludes to the name of the product but another company
might object under similar circumstances.  Or a future owner of
the trademark might.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com