[CentOS] FTP timout

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Wed Aug 24 13:45:40 UTC 2005

Abd El-Hameed Ayad wrote:

> One of the servers is vsftpd & the other is pure-ftpd
> if i logged to server running vsftpd and tried to download any file, i
> can do that without problems regardless the size of the file.
> But if i logged to the server running pure-ftpd & tried to upload the
> same file, i get the time out message "Note here: The timeout always
> happens after the file completely uploaded, the ftp client hangs then
> gives the timeout message "
>
> Also, If i logged to the server running pure-ftpd, i can use ftp
> command to download any file from vsftpd server but i can't upload the
> same file back to the server if this file size is big
>
> Do you think that i should edit the configuration file for pure-ftd or
> vsftpd? If yes, Which parameter i should change
>
> Thank you for your concern.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: William A. Mahaffey III
> Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:32 PM
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] FTP timout
>

> Abd El-Hameed Ayad wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I have 2 CentOS 3.5 boxes & i do backups on the LAN
> Recently, I always get FTP timout error with large files "700 MB and
> more" .
>
> i tried to log and do manual backup with FTP command and i also got
> the same result "FTP timeout"
>
> i tried to google and i did
> # modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
> but still get the same timeout message
>
> Any one can help???
>
> Hameed
>
> 'man ftpd' at a shell prompt should point you to the ftpd
> configuration file where that timeout can be reset. Might be 'wsftpd'
> or some other name, try 'apropos ftp' at a shell prompt to get a list
> of available man entries on ftp/ftpd/etc. YMMV, HTH, & all that :-).

I am not familiar with the vaguaries of vsftpd or pure-ftpd, however the
man pages on those services *should* have the info you need. If you are
getting the time-out from the vsftpd server (upload or download), that
is the one you need to tinker with.

--
	William A. Mahaffey III