[CentOS] Re: Linux Trademarked? -- [OT] time to take this off-list (it's clearly just you and I) ...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:51:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 13:10, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > In fact, I don't see how you could meet the
> > requirement of keeping copyright notices intact for the linux kernel
> > without calling it linux.   And I'd expect it to be very difficult
>
> Precisely my point. And, in order to preserve the trademark, he may
> have to do something of the sort. Remember, the law doesn't have to
> make sense, it just has to be enforceable :-)
>
> > to remove the name from the source code and keep it working.
>
> Why is that?

Consider all the independently written and maintained kernel modules
that expect to find needed things under /usr/include/linux as a
simple example.  I'm sure some things that peek there at run-time
too.

> > There might be a special case here since Linus still controls the
> > trademark, but suppose it survives him and falls into the wrong
> > hands.  Suppose, for the worst case example, SCO owned the trademark.
>
> Now, now. Your prejudices are showing :-)
>
> How about Yoko Ono?

OK, some unnamed entity with a history of taking money from a
well-heeled company and subsequently causing trouble for it's
competitors.  Note that I'm not saying those things are related,
but I don't think it applies to Yoko.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com