[CentOS] 'Many' packages installed - CentOS 4.1

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 25 22:45:59 UTC 2005

Tim Edwards <tim at registriesltd.com.au> wrote:
> Just to throw in my $0.02: we do minimal installs with all
> our RHEL and CentOS boxes (both 3 and 4) and it really is
> minimal - no X, no GUI, no KDE/GNOME or Window Managers.

It should also be noted that there are _excellent_ tools out
there that take a RPM or other repository and tell you
_exactly_ what packages render what inter-dependencies and,
most importantly, the individual and total sizes result.

Most of these tools came from Red Hat's own employees when
the move to Fedora Core 1 was made away from the Red Hat
Linux 10 Beta.

> If you're building a server then you know what should be on
> it so you can just do things like 'yum install httpd php
> mysql' or whatever to get yourself going. Its a very
> clean way of doing things.

Which is what a YUM-integrated Anaconda in Fedora Core 5+
(thus RHEL 5+) is all about.