[CentOS] 'Many' packages installed - CentOS 4.1

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:48:29 UTC 2005

On 8/26/05, Plant, Dean <dean.plant at roke.co.uk> wrote:
> Has anyone already done this so I can simply paste a "yum remove
> <non-required-packages>" after a minimal install to achieve a true
> minimal install?

The Fedora Minimal project is responsible for shaving something like
50MB of unnecessary dependencies off of the "minimal" option.

Check: http://simpaticus.com/linux/barebones-server-howto.php

And in particular look for "Trimming The Fat" sections.

His purpose is to reuse old hardware for firewall/smtp types of
systems that do not need to be performance, but should keep boxes from
hitting the trash and should be safe with minimal disk space.  The
same result is useful for other purposes.

Greg