[CentOS] impress viewer for openoffice

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Aug 26 16:05:20 UTC 2005

Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am attempting to find an openoffice powerpower
> point viewer.

<attitude=on>
Don't call it that.  If you want people to stop calling any
presentation "Power Point" start by referring to it as a
"Presentation Viewer" or more OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
centric, an "Impress Viewer."  Some of us were using
StarImpress back in the mid-'90s, especially when it was far
better than PowerPoint.  ;->
</attitude>

> Also I dont think there is a way from the command line to
> go fullscreen?  not sure.
> Anyone know of a good power point viewer for centos?
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
STOP!  I'm serious, this is the problem in the community
right now.  StarImpress has been around for over a decade,
and the generic term is "Presentation" not "Power Point(R)".

> or a way to make impress startup and go into slideshow
> mode?

You could actually build a self-contained, self-executing
StarImpress slideshow back in StarOffice 5.  I used to do it
all-the-time.

In OpenOffice.org/StarOffice 6+, you can now export a Flash
presentation.  It works very good, assuming you use fonts
that are Flash-friendly.