[CentOS] portsentry and proftpd RPMs available

Troy Engel

tengel at fluid.com
Fri Aug 26 16:25:56 UTC 2005

Just dropping a note, I've built CentOS4 friendly RPMs (as well as RHEL4
and FC4) of two of my favourite tools, PortSentry and ProFTPd:

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.falsehope.net/home/tengel/portsentry/CentOS4/
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.falsehope.net/home/tengel/proftpd/CentOS4/

PortSentry is built using the last known (RedHat 9 based) SPEC/patches
from FreshRPMS, updated to apply with the latest known version 1.2. I
have noticed no problems in it's operation on a production server, it's
detecting portscans and dropping IPs as expected.

ProFTPd has a backport of a patch applied that makes it work with the
default MySQL 'old_passwords=1' setting found in RHEL4/CentOS4 default
installs (proftpd bug #2644). If you don't want ProFTPd MySQL support in
CentOS4, simply rebuild the SRPM without any commandline options.

Both packages SRPMs should cleanly rebuild on CentOS3/RHEL3, but
untested by me.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer