[CentOS] Trying to control the torrent of spam...

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Aug 28 15:21:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 11:01, Preston Crawford wrote:

> An IDEAL setup would be one where spam gets auto-forwarded to the FTC's
> spam email address and to BlueSecurity.com. But I don't know if such a
> program exists for Linux.

Auto forwarding of such messages is not a good idea.  If there are any
false positives you could end up having legit email marked as spam and
sent to these third party systems.  You should have some kind of
confirmation before sending on such email.

Depending on the type of spam you are getting you want to make sure
spamassassin bayesian filters are working.  I think you need to have fed
it about 200 spam messages before it kicks in.  You may also get good
results using some of the alternative rule sets provided by
http://www.rulesemporium.com/.

If you were running your own MTA I would recommend you implement
greylisting.  This would eliminate >98% of spam with little or nor
impact to your MTA servers resources.