[CentOS] Previewing oggvorbis files in GNOME...

Jose Alburquerque

jaalburquerque at cox.net
Mon Aug 29 03:34:49 UTC 2005

Hi.  I'm wondering if anyone out there can give me a little help trying
to figure something out:  I presently am running CentOS4.1 with GNOME as
my desktop (It runs quite well, I must say!).  I just have a little
curiosity:  I have a few audio files (.wav, .mp3 and .ogg) and I like to
"preview" them.  When run my mouse over the .wav files (and mp3 files)
the "previewing" function works fine, but when I try to preview an
oggvorbis file (.ogg) it seems that the file is about to be previewed
(because the icon changes), but no sound comes out.

I noticed that nautilus (the file-manager) uses sox to play the audio
files when previewing.  Recently I had to add mp3 support to sox to be
able to use "graveman" (a cd burning software) and I figure that's why
mp3 previewing works fine for me under GNOME.  I thought that the reason
that ogg files do not sound is because my version of sox may not have
oggvorbis support, but this is not the case because I can play them
using the "play" command easily at the command line.  Also when I type
"sox -h" I get:

sox: Version 12.17.7

Usage: [ gopts ] [ fopts ] ifile [ fopts ] ofile [ effect [ effopts ] ]

gopts: -e -h -p -v volume -V

fopts: -r rate -c channels -s/-u/-U/-A/-a/-i/-g/-f -b/-w/-l/-d -x

effect: avg band bandpass bandreject chorus compand copy dcshift deemph
earwax echo echos fade filter flanger highp highpass lowp lowpass mask
mcompand noiseprof noisered pan phaser pick pitch polyphase rate repeat
resample reverb reverse silence speed stat stretch swap synth trim vibro vol

effopts: depends on effect

Supported file formats: aiff al au auto avr cdr cvs dat vms gsm hcom la
lu maud mp3 nul ossdsp prc raw sb sf sl smp sndt sph 8svx sw txw ub ul
uw voc vorbis vox wav wve

which let's me know that my version of sox has vorbis support.  Anyone
know why I can't preview my oggvorbis files in GNOME?  Thanks a million.

-Jose