[CentOS] Can't mount FAT32 partition

dan.trainor dan.trainor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:18:47 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

>> /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat rw,noauto,user,uid=512,gid=1002 1 2
>>                                                            ^ ^
>> really really bad idea -------------------------------------|-|
>>

> If you say so. Did I mention I was a newbie? I'm a newbie. I only put in
> the 1 and 2 because that's what another guy on this list told me to do.
> I have no idea what they mean.
>
>> filesystem does not need to be dumped (field 5) and not need fsck'ing
>> (field 6) - it is vfat right?
>>
> If vfat is the same as fat32, then yes.
>
> I'm a little scared to go ahead with this, because I don't want to lose
> any more data. If I change the last two numbers, will I at least be safe
> from having Linux try and make changes to the hard drive?
>
> Dave

Hello, Dave -

man fstab:

"The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to
determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.
 The root filesystem should  be  specified  with  a fs_passno  of  1,
and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within
a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different
drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available
in the hardware.  If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of
zero is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not  need
to be checked."

You wouldn't want to fsck a vfat drive.  I've never done it before.  I
don't even know if it's *possible*, even if there was a way to force it.
 Hope that helps.

Thanks
-dant