[CentOS] hardware RAID5 - MBR and default grub config on CentOS 4

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 29 18:09:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 10:58 -0700, Robert Hanson wrote:
> } ----
> } You don't say whether this is hardware or software raid.
> }
> } mbr should be put in boot blocks unless you have some other boot manager
> } handling boot and needs to hand off the boot.
> }
> } Craig
> }
>
> my apologies,
>
> "hardware" RAID5 and noticed i changed the subject, hopefully that does not
> mess things up for peoples readers etc.
----
unless there's something special about your setup... grub-install
to /dev/sda

and yes, one of the things that Brian did assume correctly was /boot
should be separately partitioned IF you use LVM - but even if you don't
use LVM, it's still much easier to fix things if /boot is on it's own
partition.

Brian ;^)   thanks for clarifying my incorrect terminology though.

Craig