[CentOS] ethernet interfaces swapped around

Tue Aug 2 01:48:33 UTC 2005
Jim Wildman <jim at rossberry.com>

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, sudo Yang wrote:

> One of my systems have two onboard NICs which uses the e100 and e1000
> drivers (yes, the interfaces are not the same).  This system kickstart
> fine with CentOS 3.x.  I recently tried to rekick it with CentOS 4.x
> but was unsuccessful in doing so.  When kicking CentOS 4.1, the
> interfaces are swapped around, i.e. eth0 becomes eth1 and eth1 becomes
> eth0 (as described at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104888957013124&w=2).
> Is there a way to fix the interface during kickstart?

For real fun, add a PCI based dual port card.  Then the first onboard
NIC will probably be (but not for sure) eth2!!!

The short answer is there is no guaranteed way.  The long answer is you
may be able to add module loading commands to the kernel invocation line
in your kickstart file and get the old behavior.  Does not work for all
servers.

I've got notes at work about it, but can't seem to find them from home.

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine