[CentOS] Re: OT - RPM queries [was Re: Firefox, Flash and Java on CentOS 4.1 x86-64]

Fri Aug 12 14:53:53 UTC 2005
Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org>

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> [ I fail to see how this is "off-topic"?
> A new thread, maybe, but "off-topic" for the list? ]

I agree with OT, your post had little use for someone who uses CentOS.

> Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>>I have the following in ~/.rpmmacros:
>># Change default RPM query format to show ARCH
>>%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}
>
> That made it ultra-simple to get just what I had added, which
> was the i386/i586 RPMs from Fedora Core/Extras (basic
> Firefox, a few others), Livna.ORG (most of the multimedia
> add-ons) and 3rd parties (e.g., Adobe Acrobat Reader,
> Macromedia Flash, Sun Java Run-time).

I am sure you are aware of the fact that using these repo's on a CentOS
Machine will cause you more damage than most people really want. Expect
to reinstall the OS if you have those repo's enabled and run through a
few pkg install cycles. And dont expect CentOS to provide you with any
useful updates anymore.

How about a list of pkgs and dep's required to get i386 Multimedia
working well on a x86_64 CentOS Machine ?

- KB
--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc