[CentOS] boot on raid Was: why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 1 16:22:46 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 10:00, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>

>>>Probably the LILO RPM missing on the CD.  If you rebuild CD image with
>>>LILO RPM
>>>included, it might work.
>>>

>>if you can verify this, could you file this as an issue at
>>http://bugs.centos.org/ - I'll make sure the situation is rectified in
>>time for ServerCD 4.3
>

> Has anyone looked at what SMEserver v7 (the Centos4 based one)
> does?  It not only installs on raid by default, it creates
> a 'broken' RAID1 if you only have one drive so you can add
> a mirror painlessly later.  I don't have a running system
> right now to see if they put /boot on raid1 or if they
> use lilo or grub.

Firstly, the primary aim of the CentOS distro is to stay in sync with
upstream. So nothing on that is going to change.

Secondly, Feel free to evaluate what SMEserver are doing w.r.t installer
and submit patches for the ServerCD.

Also, moving this conversation to the CentOS Developers mailing list, if
anyone is interested in following this - subscribe there.