[CentOS] CentOS on Xen question (Xen Hosting)

Leonard Isham leonard.isham at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 18:57:57 UTC 2005

On 12/1/05, Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am considering getting a Xen based virtual server for providing static
> web-site, secondary MX & DNS. Pros & Cons? anyone?
>
> Minimal install from the centos server CD (centos will be the guest OS)
> with Apache, Selinux, Iptables, qmail, spamassasin, djbdns, clam, mysql,
> postgreSQL & INN. Any install issues?
>
> What should be the HDD & RAM requirement, in addition to my database
> size & say 10 GB for mail?
>
> Also, how much bandwidth saving can I get with say 10 MB mail (from
> mailing lists) and script to compress and get it by rsync?
>
> Secondly, is it possible to compress news server feed & batch download
> in compressed format, reliably. I am trying to save on extra bandwidth
> costs here in India.
>
> Also, can someone recommend and Xen Virtual host provider on my direct
> email address...anyone who is small & can do a bit of hand-holding
> initially...without a big dollar denominated bill ;-) Small shoestring
> budget..a very very small shoestring ;-)

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but...

With everything I've read and researched, prior to this, I've come to
the conclusion that this would take a considerable amount of time and
effort.  The resulting installed system would only vaguely resemble
CentOS on the surface.  Would require a non-standard, most likely self
created and maintained, repository for yum updates.

IIRC this would require patching and recompiling the kernel, newer gcc
and recompiling a significant number of other binaries...

Maybe you could call the new distro XentOS.

Please correct any errors of misconceptions I have.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.