[CentOS] Tyan S2891 and CentOS

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 21:11:43 UTC 2005

rik at harddata.com wrote:
> This is what I figured so I have tested with Fedora Core 4
> installs.
> Interesting to find that the 2.6.11 install kernel works
> but the latest 2.6.14 kernel has the same symptoms.  I am
> scratching my head and firing up bugzilla.

It's really the issue of all those PCI busses.  Enumeration
of all those devices across all those busses is not excatly
easy.

Again, it wasn't too long ago that 99% of systems had only 2
PCI busses, and servers were 3 or 4 maximum.  Now we're
talking 4-5 are standard these days on a desktop, and 6, 8 or
even 10+ on a server.

Enumerating all those busses/devices can get rather tricky,
and kernels are going to be conservative by default.