[CentOS] Tyan S2891 and CentOS

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 21:40:07 UTC 2005

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> I've got a Tyan S2882-D with two dual-core Opteron 270s
> running CentOS 4 just fine -- but it's got the AMD-8111
> chipset, not the nVidia CK804.

<anal>
The S2882 actually the AMD8131 HyperTransport tunnel (dual
PCI-X 1.0) with the AMD8131 HyperTransport bridge (legacy
PC).
</anal>

Just the AMD8111 would really suck.  ;->

The S2895 uses the AMD8131 with the nForce Pro 2200+2050.
The S2891 uses the AMD8131 with the nForce Pro 2200.

The nForce Pro 2200 provides the legacy PC, along with PCIe
and newer features.  The nForce Pro 2050 just adds additional
PCIe channels and new features.

Robert <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> other specs in that box?
> is it a screamer?

Anything with an AMD8131 will get you excellent server
performance, because it's a dual PCI-X 1.0 channel solution.

Some HP and Sun servers use 2, and one Sun product even uses
3 (for 6 PCI-X 1.0 channels).

> benchmarks?

For what?  The CPUs?  The PCI-X I/O?  The PCIe channels?  You
have to give some context of what you'd use on the board.
Otherwise the benchmarks will vary _widely_.  ;->

If you're only going to use the PCI-X channels, then it
really matters little what mainboard you use -- as long as it
has an AMD8131 (or the newer AMD8132 -- which is a dual PCI-X
2.0).