[CentOS] slow responding firewall server

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 23:39:58 UTC 2005

Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org> wrote:
> web browsing now has a high latency ... DNS is all ok ...
> I note that squid uses a fair amout of CPU on the PII450
> from time to time,  but can't seem to get a handle on what
is
> causing the delay.

Could be differences in the disk / disk controller.  Squid is
very storage intensive, although 512MiB RAM should mitigate
much of that.

Run "hdparm -i" and "hdparm" (no options) on each of your IDE
disks and check for DMA settings, and what the controller
currently set at (the asterisk next to the modes).