[CentOS] Does ifconfig exist on CentOS v4.2?

Steven Vishoot sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 02:25:36 UTC 2005

"William (Bill) E. T." <wtriest at chemistry.ohio-state.edu> wrote:  It should be located under /sbin.  Try /sbin/ifconfig (should work as a
regular user).  Also when you su have you tried su -?

--Bill

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 20:16 -0500, brad wrote:
> I cannot run ifconfig even with su. Is this available as only an added
> package or something?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -Brad

to expand a little more on william post.

  if you su this will get you into root but with the previous profile.  (meaning the regular users profile) if you use su - this will pull in  root profile and you will get the  correct path set up and will be  able to type ifconfig..

  i have had a lot of people get tricked up with the su and su - and they could not figure out why.

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."