[CentOS] why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 2 16:32:21 UTC 2005

> It is silly to speculate why they did it, especially on
> this list ... if you want to really know the answer to the
> question, ask on the RHEL list.  I'm sure they would tell
> you.

Now let's see if Johnny saying it (yet again) will result in
any drop of the issue any more than I (crossing my fingers
;-).

> There is no i386 kernel in RHEL-4 or CentOS-4
> we may do an i586 and i686 kernel for the server CD.

First off, upstream provider issues.

Secondly, i686 is almost a bare minimum these days.  Even
packages that say ".i386" may have i686 requirements in them.

Third, thank the CentOS team for considering and shipping
i586 kernels when they can.  Frankly, with all the i686
requirements in the software these days, I'm surprised
they're able to.