[CentOS] DAG repo problem (continuation)

Henk van Lingen henkvl at cs.uu.nl
Sun Dec 4 20:45:08 UTC 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 01:28:09PM -0700, Greg Knaddison wrote:

  > What to consider is that you (more dominik) are biting a hand that
  > feeds you for free not only in giving you rebuilt rpms that magically
  > work on your system but also that the site is a test bed for one of
  > the most important pieces of software in the world used by millions of
  > people a day (Apache).
  >
  > So maybe a little patience, assistance in solving the problem, and
  > perhaps even gratitude/donation would be in order rather than just
  > "OMG, dag's site provided me an RPM and then the update is broken and
  > I emailed him and it has taken a week to solve the problem!" which is
  > how I read you and Dominik's messages.

  I'm not biting anyone. I'm very happy with the stuff Dag does. I'm just
  saying it isn't very reliabe and informative at times. Concerning the
  donation: I'm mirroring his stuff (except fedora/ at the moment) for
  some years now. Last year I mailed him about it, in case he wanted
  mirrors used (no answer), I saw this week my mirror is now included
  (without me knowing it) on his website. That's fine with me. (I have
  an apache mirror on the same box, btw).
  For a system as popular as Dag's, it doesn't look sane to me to have
  your main mirror on a testbox, right? There have to be other mirrors/
  people who would be happy to help him, i think.

  Maybe that RPMforge-thing is a platform to discus things like this.
  But for all I can see it is very quiet there. Should I have mailed
  them instead of Dag about broken RPM's? Maybe, I don't know.

  Regards,

--
Henk van Lingen, Systems & Network Administrator              (o-      -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University.                /\        |