[CentOS] CentOS and Dell Support

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 4 23:58:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:47 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> Also, any recommendations for which Dell PERC or Dell SATA RAID
> adapters can I expect to work nicely with CentOS?

If RHEL supports them, CentOS will support them.

> If, on the other hand, Dell gives you trouble for CentOS installs, and
> you have recommendations for other server vendors, let me know. In
> particular, one that can provide on-site warranty support in Toronto,
> Canada, would be great.

Most Tier-1 OEMs don't want to support anything but a combined
hardware/software solution.

With that said, many Tier-2 and whitebox OEMs cater to multiple OSes.
Several system integrators lurk on the Red Hat AMD64 list:

I also mentioned decade-old ASL recently as shipping CentOS as an
additional option to Fedora Core and RHEL:
  http://www.aslab.com

> I'm only interested in i386 architecture, by the way.

Since Dell doesn't ship AMD on its servers, it makes little difference.

Although I wouldn't put more than 1-2GiB RAM in the servers.
If you need more than 2GiB, I'd be looking towards AMD.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com