[CentOS] slow responding firewall server [SOLVED]

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Mon Dec 5 13:52:50 UTC 2005

Hi Chris,

The biggest beef was the fact that Squid would just seem to stall on
some downloads, for example MS updates on the client machines would all
halt consistently after doing about 10% of the latest .net udpates.
Clear the cache on squid and empty the browser caches, clear it all out
and start again, and it still did it everytime.

Changed the motherboard to a faster one and the problem goes
away....bizarre to say the least....

Load average on the machine was always low  (<.2 )

The 933 PIII with the sames disks (just transplanted) and the same
network cards and RAM, works fine,   the PII 450 on Red Hat 9 also works
fine.  It might be a 2.6 kernel issue with PIIs maybe (a bit far fetched
I agree but possible)

With the PIII installed its like the internet connection has 1/10 the
latency...

P.