[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:55:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 04:24, Alain Reguera wrote:
> I'm getting a little involved now, thanks for replaying guys
>
> > Disable Imap and only keep pop3 ?
> but how can I grant students' mobility around labs, keeping their
> Inbox's messages available from one workstation to another?

Does this have to live on the same box?  Used hardware is
really cheap these days and you can use an MX record to
direct your inbound mail through a screening box.

> The suggestions have been very important. I'll continue reading in
> this direction. Any last comments are also welcome :)

The best thing you could do for that box is max it out with
RAM, followed by transplanting a SCSI controller and drive
for the most active partitions.   Ironically, new RAM for
old machines is pretty expensive but if you have a scrap
bin, dig through it.

Software-wise, I'd recommend sendmail with MimeDefang
unless the postfix/mailscanner combo has a way to
avoid starting a new copy of the scanners for each message.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com