[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Dec 6 16:08:44 UTC 2005

Feizhou wrote:
> For 2000 students and faculty (well, I guess faculty may or may not be
> hosted on the same box but even if it is a different domain, it is not
> hard) and the constant yearly addition and possibly removal of accounts,
> I would suggest a system where the user information are stored in a
> database (mysql) and virtual mail storage (only one system account is
> used for all email account mailboxes).
>
> This is possible with postfix alone, you just have to work out the
> database schema yourself and build the interfaces needed for
> addition/removal of email accounts otherwise you will or whoever will
> have to do all that manual by running sql statements.

Sounds like a classic case where postfix and CyrusIMAPD are going to be
the best solution for this person - postfix with mysql is hosted in
CentOSPlus, so you dont need to go "work out the schema" yourself, use
Cyrus + Web-cyradmin + pam_mysql, and you are done.

Btw, we've spoken about the merits and demerits of various mail app's
many times on this mailing list - lets not go there again.

- K