[CentOS] Whats with named?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:37:22 UTC 2005

On 12/6/05, Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
> Found this entry in the log this morning.  Never have seen such
> before.......
>
>  --------------------- Named Begin ------------------------
>

> **Unmatched Entries**
>    dispatch 0x8ea6e48: shutting down due to TCP receive error: connection reset: 1 Time(s)
>
>  ---------------------- Named End -------------------------
>
> --
> Snowman

As I understand it, this is caused by named being fed bad packets,
either by some form of automated attack, or crappy dns server that
named queried on its way to find out what you asked it for. Depending
on the verbosity of the named logs you keep, you could grep this out,
and look at the queries near it to see if there's a particular cause.
Or it may not be worth it to you.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT