[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:39:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 17:16, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> >I think a better description of the history would be to say that
> >qmail was so bad that Wietse started from scratch to write something
> >useful.  And meanwhile, the problems with sendmail that they both
> >set out to fix were solved anyway.
> >

> Heh.  Sendmail really was awful back then (mid-late '90's).  It's gotten
> a lot better, but it is still comparatively slow and resource hungry.

Sendmail should always be waiting for network or disk i/o anyway
and the only thing really wrong is if your outbound queue becomes
huge it can be slow to search.  If your setup is on that scale you
can make it use multiple queues.  Anyway it is silly to even think
about the resource consumption of the MTA itself if you are
planning to run spamassassin.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com