[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Wed Dec 7 04:22:39 UTC 2005

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:52:18AM +0800, Feizhou wrote:
>
>>>Me neither. I have been running e-mail server for so long, that I
>>>really don't care about these "blackbox" solutions. They are more
>>>trouble than they are worth.
>>
>>Except when they are well done. vpopmail, vmailmgr...don't exim also
>>have something written for it to manage virtual mailboxes?
>

> Exim itself does that.
>
> And vpopmail is not a blackbox solution :)

Ah, i wondered what you meant.

>>>Actually, .forward provides intra-MTA routing instructions, not delivery
>>>instructions :)
>>
>>Please stop muddling things for newbies. A line with a pipe in the
>>.forward file means deliver mail to program through a pipe. A line with
>>a path means deliver a copy to this mailbox and a line with an email
>>address means forward a copy to the email address.
>>
>>You are mixing up 'mailertables' on sendmail, 'transports' on postfix
>>and 'smtproutes' on qmail with .forward/.qmail local delivery
>>instruction files.
>

> No, I'm not. .forward/.qmail will provide instructions for the MTA.
> They don't do delivery, so they are not a "local delivery system".

Hmm...ok. dot-whatever != local delivery agent. I guess I should say it
boils down to what qmail-local and its dot-qmail mechanism does compared
with the pairing of sendmail's local mailer and its dot-forward
mechanism and postfix's local (that is what its LDA is called) support
of sendmail's dot-forward.

>>>I agree "nothing to do" was a little strong worded, since everything
>>>has to do with local delivery. That is, after all, what the whole
>>>e-mail system is about.
>>
>>-_-. "intra-MTA routing" has nothing to do with local delivery...
>

> Depend on the final routing target, which can be local delivery.

=D. Got me there. The only exception being qmail...once a message is
queued, its routing has been set whereas you can still change that if it
  were postfix, sendmail and I guess exim.