[CentOS] CentOS 4.2beta on Sun Ultra 5 (sparc64)

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Wed Dec 7 14:30:00 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:

>On Wednesday 07 December 2005 09:15, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
>

>>This is inspiring me to save up for a loaded Sun E420R or E450 to run at
>>home and replace my Duron-based web/mail server.
>>

>Whats your power bill like? :-D
>
>But seriously now. I'd like to try it just for the geek factor somewhere - is
>there a supported hardware list somewhere? How about US-III based hardware?

Yep, the E450 is definitely a great space heater.  8-)  I have a friend
who did some consulting for a defense contractor not long ago.  They
replaced a number of older E450's that were crunching simulation data.
The replacements were about half the number of whitebox dual Opteron
boxes running RHEL and he said there was a substantial  performance
increase as a result.   Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that the
initial reason for the upgrade wasn't to increase performance, but to
ease up the load on power and cooling requirements in the datacenter in
this particular location...which was accomplished mostly by retiring
older Sun gear in favour of commodity PC equipment.  Older Sun gear is
dirt cheap on Ebay these days so if you need a heater for the
winter....  8-)

Cheers,