using Cyrus was Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Dec 7 15:27:48 UTC 2005

Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>>> What does one do when the indexes for a mailbox gets hosed? I know of
>>> one person who used cyrus and when it got hosed, he came running to
>>> me to get him a mail system up and running pronto.
>>

>> You reconstruct them.  There's command that does that, you know.  I'd
>> suggest reading man reconstruct.
>>
> I'd like to point out here that you will not ever have this type of
> problem with courier. I really like cyrus, but I babysit cyrus all the
> time.

I would also like to point out that you had either a bad config or lack
of understanding about any system. We've been over this issue of which
imap and how and where - on this list, previously. I recommend you go
back and read those posts.

And Feizhou, who seems to be towing your line, has already admitted he
has no idea about Cyrus and has never used it.

And anyway, i dont understand the logic behind 'Courier is easier than a
yum install cyrusimapd'. Specially since Courier is neither in the
distro, nor provided by any stable maintained repository for EL4. So you
are pretty much on your own 'aka LFS style'. Maybe on a different distro
the story would be different - but on CentOS, I dont think so.

- K