[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Dec 7 17:14:30 UTC 2005

Quoting Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>:

> I'd just like to say that some, if not most, of the 'out of band'
> solutions don't need upgrading.

"Out of band" solutions need upgrading about the same as the solutions already
packaged in the distribution.  The only difference, there's nobody to track
what was fixed and how important it is if you use something outside of
distribution.  For each update of Cyrus package, there'll be an errata
explaining how important the update is and what might happen if you
don't apply
it.  For Courier, you'll have to parse through ChangLog file and attempt to
figure out if that "file descriptor leak" that was fixed on November 21
is just
a minor issue, something that will make your server stop working after
couple of
weeks, a possibility of DoS attack against your server, will somebody
be able to
break into your machine if you don't fix it, and so on, and so forth.

I've nothing against Courier.  It is a nice piece of software.  Cyrus too is a
nice piece of software.