[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Dec 7 17:24:42 UTC 2005

Quoting Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at suespammers.org>:

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:26:42AM -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>> I'd probably back it up to disk.  Pair of 200-300GB drives (in RAID-1).
>> Very inexpensive.
>
> The problem with that setup is that you can't get historical data.
> If that is not an issue, then I agree RAID-1 is enough.

Not true.  You can do backup on disk exactly the same way you do them
to tape. With tape, you calculate how big your backups are, and for how
long you want to
keep them.  Then you go out and by that many tapes.  With disk, you do
the same
thing and buy disk(s) of appropriate size.  If you run out of tapes, you buy
more tapes.  If you run out of disk space for backup, you buy more
disks.  Same
thing.  Anyhow, cost of single SDLT tape is comparable to cost of disk
drive of
same capacity.

>> Would be interesting to hear how did you envision to backup 2000 USB
>> sticks that
>> users are carrying around (and loosing them on regular basis)...
>
> You are shifting the responsibility for the backup. The user can
> backup it on any machine, including his home computer. But it
> is no longer the institution (school) responsibility to handle
> the backup.

The user is not going to bother to backup.  He'll just blaim you for
loosing his
email (no matter who's responsibility it was on paper).  Anyhow, as I said
previously, for $100,000 (which would be price of USB sticks) you can buy
really fancy storage with really fancy backup solution.  Anyhow, I
always hated
people that are shifting responsibility they are paid to handle to
somebody who
is not supposed to have that responsibility in the first place.