using Cyrus was Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Wed Dec 7 17:53:44 UTC 2005

> Actually... I'm left wondering if this mailserver is really meant to be
> an IMAP only mailserver or just an IMAP capable mailserver? Most users
> like to use POP and keep their mail locally but have the option to use a
> Webmail program when away. If that is the case, there are a lot of
> things talked about that really are pretty outlandish. Heck, a lot of
> ISPs still have a 5meg quota on their users! Yup, one of the larger ones
> in this area defaults to that.. a phone call is all it takes to get it
> raised, but I can see their point. If you give them 100megs it'll get
> filled up. Many users don't even use email except on hotmail or yahoo.
> Spammers' dictionaries are constantly finding non-mail user accounts on
> my boxes. Mother Nature abhors an unfilled harddisk.

The OP said IMAP only.

> Also, if the school can only afford to use an old machine like this, how
> much 'time' can they afford to put into a highly customized system?
> There's the learning curve..... and as well, many times the 'person
> responsible' changes frequently in a college setting. Having something
> which someone else can take over is an important issue. "Simple" is
> relative... once you've done it five or so times.. yeah, it's simple. :)

Yes, that's why I don't buy a use what's bundled line of thinking unless
of course it fits the bill.

> Many of us have to know something about a LOT, and simply don't have the
> time to know a LOT about something. Like having a good grasp of
> everything from setting up webservers, DNS, email, to building
> sites/pages understanding some of the programming languages to doing
> tech calls for folks whose "Outlook is stuck", who many times don't know
> the difference between Outlook and MSIE! This is said just to point out
> the idea of thinking about the 'level' of the posters inquiry and
> situation.
>
> I think we could easily handle AOL's, MSN's and Yahoo's email with what
> has been discussed... but it might take more that a 40G drive... ;)

Nope, what has been discussed will not go anywhere near handling
AOL/MSN/Yahoo.

No one has yet touched on email account existence check. With vpopmail
and mysql-enabled postfix, that's set. I believe Karanbir mentioned
something about cyrus + Web-cyradmin + pam_mysql but that did not touch
on postfix doing the existence check which depends on the table schema used.

Large site does not have to be a frigging monster site...what about
multiple office enterprises? How would you handle those? Running a mail
store takes a fair bit of work to get a problem free (save hardware
problems) setup.