[CentOS] Re: SMB server with CentOS 4

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 18:50:23 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:

> >> Can't you do the same thing using raw printing, by configuring the
> >> printer in Windows?
>

> Hmm...you meant on a Windows server didn't you?
> >

> > He means when you add a network printer, you don't need to carry the
> > driver cd/disk with you to each Windows PC. Just browse for the printer
> > and the Windows OS on the PC will automatically download the driver
> > files and settings and then you are done.

No, I meant on a Windows client.  You can use a Windows client to
install Windows drivers to a Samba print server that's operating in
raw mode.  Then you can configure the printer driver from the Windows
client, and I'm pretty sure that saves the default settings on the
Samba server.  Then you can point-and-print from Windows (no manual
driver installation needed), just as you could if you were using full
(non-raw) Samba-CUPS integration.

Josh Kelley