[CentOS] Re: SMB server with CentOS 4

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 7 20:43:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 11:49 -0800, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Josh Kelley <joshkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think that that Samba can serve as a PDC to NT 4.0
> > BDCs (or vice versa); the HOWTO says it's impossible, and
> the
> > 2.2 release notes make no mention of it.
>
> Then it must be 3.0 that Samba can fully replicate to/from
> PDC and BDCs.  2.2 (and 2.0 IIRC?) offered the functionality
> of a PDC or BDC, but only with Samba itself.
----
No - samba 3.0.x cannot fully replicate to/from PDC/BDC

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-
pdc.html#id2530254

"New to Samba-3 is the ability to function fully as an MS Windows NT4-
style domain controller, excluding the SAM replication components.
However, please be aware that Samba-3 also supports the MS Windows 200x
domain control protocols."

using LDAP and various replication possibilities, the implication of SAM
on multiple Domain Controllers is possible, but not the reality.

Craig