[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 22:34:09 UTC 2005

Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> hi Bryan,
> the target data is only 40 GB, not 400 GB. There might be
> an upgrade down the road - but aparently, the system has
> access to only a single 40 gig drive.
> I seriously doubt that given the circumstances, there is
> even an option to spend the $2K+ on a backup drive.

I understand that.  People are bouncing all over the place
and I'm trying to address them all.  Again, I'm going to put
of a set of "scenarios" on my blog.

In his case, I'd use a couple 80GB 2.5" drives with high G
tolerances.  Or if he wants a tape, maybe a VXA-1.

My point is that once you start talking 100GB of backup --
beyond sub-$1K AIT-2 or VXA-2 -- where people start looking
at DLT, don't get anything "mid-capacity."  Go for the latest
LTO revision, currently LTO-3, because the cost per GB goes
down _substantially_!

That's my point.