Backup solutions Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 23:01:33 UTC 2005

Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> I use LTO1 they are in plentiful supply and the tapes are
> much cheaper than DLT.  i get tapes for about USD$28 each,
> they hold 100GB natively the tapes are readily available
> form many companies.

Damn, I didn't realize LTO-1 was now that affordable.  I also
just looked and the drives have now dropped to under $1K.
_Ignore_ my previous recommendation to go AIT-2 or VXA-2 for
100GB or so, LTO-1 is _definitely_ the solution there.

Thanx for pointing out how far the tape cartridges have
fallen in price.  It's been a good year, maybe 18 months,
since I priced LTO-1 cartridges.

> IBM, HP, Sony, fuji, Imation, TDK to name a few.  LTO is an
> open standard.

3 drive vendors, virtually _every_ media vendor.

> and is supported by every tape vendor out there.  this is
the
> reason that prices are much better.  its a more even
playing
> field.  you are not dependent on 1 or 2 vendors for all
> supplies.

Exactomundo.

Unless you have legacy AIT or DLT, LTO is the way to go.