[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 8 00:38:53 UTC 2005

Bill Diamond wrote:
>>> You still want to have /home on a separated filesystem. You just don't
>>> need it to be big.
>>
>> If he wants system users. In his case where this box sole use is mail
>> (Alain please confirm) I don't really see a need for a separate /home
>> if there is nobody to use it.
>
> If he's going to set this up for IMAP, then certainly putting /home onto
> a separate drive, not just a separate partition, will be very
> beneficial. This can enable him to do some pretty cool things, like
> using spamassassin and procmail to automatically filter out spam into
> seperate folders.
>
> On my admittedly small setup, I also have scripts run that look for any
> messages in the user's home maildir "Missed Spam" folder and "Not Spam"
> folder.  In the "Missed Spam" folder, I have it automatically rescore
> the messages using sa-learn.  In the "Not Spam" folder, it's a bit
> trickier, but using formail along with spamassassin, I can reprocess
> false positives, strip the headers, and redeliver them appropriately.

Please re-read thread before posting. Its usually considered a good idea
if what you haveto say has not already been discussed to death before.

his spam markup / handing / processing is on a different box, as was
already mentioned.

also, he has decided to use Cyrus, which does not ( as has already been
pointed out in this thread ) use anything in /home - please read up on
the software before posting.

Also, has been repeatedly pointed out that he does not have and will not
use another drive at this time.

Thank you for your attention. Now we return you to the regular programming.