[CentOS] rsync to a port other than 22

Ed Morrison

edward.morrison at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 00:37:50 UTC 2005

I am trying to use rsinc to tranfer my ftp  directory from one server to
another.  I have port 22 closed off due to port knocking and I am trying
to direct rsync to use another port.  Unfortunately I can't seem to get
it to use the specified port.  Here is my command, if someone could
point out my error I would appreciate it:

rsync -avr --port=XXX xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/var/ftp /var/ftp

The error this generates is:

ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)

Thanks,

Ed