[CentOS] RE: Keeping data on 2 servers in sync !

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 06:16:31 UTC 2005

On 12/9/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 20:36, Sudev Barar wrote:
> >
> > rsync also has time tags and you can use them to determine if the file
> > on download side is newere and hence excluded from sync. We do it this
> > way and keep all data as fully functional on three locations.
> >
> > Some one on another list pointed out tsync but have not had the time
> > to llok it up and test it. No idea about unison, will also put it on
> > list of things to do! Thanks.
>
> Are you trying to sync a directory with activity at both locations?
> What happens when files are being changed during the sync
> process or the same file is updated differently in two
> locations at the same time?

Fortunately for me the situation of two people editing same file at
same time does not happen as each user works only his/her directory.
But yes that is a problem that needs some other solution ...NFS &
lock..???....but with thin pipes between the offices and the fact that
no two users are working on same file at the same time points to this
method.

If the file is being worked upon at time of rsync the committed file
is synced. The updated file is synced only on next cycle.

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux