[CentOS] perl module

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 22:43:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 15:54, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-12 at 07:41 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > That just makes it a private problem.  The solution is to get
> > official packages for all the needed modules.  What is
> > the process for that?  If you use fastcgi, the stock apache,
> > perl, and mysql on Centos4 work fine.
>
> I don't find installing Perl modules from cpan to be so bad.  Been doing
> this for RT since FC1 all the way up to FC3, and now CentOS.  We've
> never had an issue.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a problem for
> other people, but simply that for us it's been great.

The problem that people have with complex packages like RT is that
CPAN changes all the time and the versions are interdependent so
you need frozen snapshots known to work together.  One week you
might be able run the RT install script that pulls missing things
from CPAN and the next week you might have several failures, sometimes
from subtle things like a test routine provided by one module and
used in another being moved or changed.  Or, the modules may install
but they may be newer versions that aren't compatible with RT.

> I agree that a nice RPM install is ideal.  But, it's going to take a lot
> of work to package all the Perl dependencies. Most people's time would
> probably be spent elsewhere.

You could install all of a Linux distribution out of today's CVS
snapshots too.  It's the same idea - but most people wouldn't like
it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com