[CentOS] sendmail problems errors

Steven Vishoot

sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 17:58:16 UTC 2005

 hello,

  i am having problems with sendmail when i am trying to restart it. this  morning i woke up and found it not working and when i tried restarting  it belched out these errors at me.

  [root at dusty init.d]# ./sendmail start
  Starting sendmail: 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 91: fileclass:  cannot open '/etc/mail/local-host-names': Group writable directory
  451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 588: fileclass: cannot open '/etc/mail/trusted-users': Group writable directory
                                                              [FAILED]
  this is what the sendmail.cf file says at line 91:
  # file containing names of hosts for which we receive email
  Fw/etc/mail/local-host-names

  and also at line 588:
  # this is equivalent to setting class "t"
  Ft/etc/mail/trusted-users
  Troot
  Tdaemon
  Tuucp

  now what am i missing.
  i am using centos 4.2  x86_64

  thanks

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."