[CentOS] sendmail problems errors

Steven Vishoot sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 21:11:56 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:  On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 11:58, Steven Vishoot wrote:
> i am having problems with sendmail when i am trying to restart it.
> this morning i woke up and found it not working and when i tried
> restarting it belched out these errors at me.
>
> [root at dusty init.d]# ./sendmail start
> Starting sendmail: 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 91:
> fileclass: cannot open '/etc/mail/local-host-names': Group writable
> directory
> 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 588: fileclass: cannot open
> '/etc/mail/trusted-users': Group writable directory
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> now what am i missing.

Reading the error message...
chmod g-w /etc/mail
..and do an ls -ld /etc/mail to make sure the owner and
other permissions are sane.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com

thanks Les,

  But my directory for mail has always been:
  drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Dec 10 11:57 /etc/mail

  and the two files affected have been:
  -rw-r--r--  1 root root    64 Feb 17  2005 local-host-names
  -rw-r--r--  1 root root   127 Feb 17  2005 trusted-users

  if i do not get this fixed i am not too worried at the moment, since i  will be reinstalling the system as soon i receive my other sata cable.  To make this system a software raid then. But i thought i would throw  this out to see if anyone would know...unless the error it is throwing  out is not the correct error, then i have no idea what would be wrong.

  thanks,

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."