[CentOS] rsync and passwords

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 11 01:28:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 20:08 -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> Only one thing to add to this. If the .ssh directory on the remote
> machine doesn't exist, ssh from there to somewhere else, or create it
> youself,

Which would result in an error when the "scp" (#2) is attempted, yes.

> but keep in mind the permissions. If your .ssh directory is
> anything other than 600 (I think... pulling that number from deep
> within my arse) it'll fail, and you'll be prompted for a password and
> will wonder what went wrong.

Which would result in an error added to /var/log/messages, which I
mentioned to check as well.

<non-technical response=ON>

So why didn't I mention the full details?

I've been chastised in the past for giving long, drawn-out answers
instead of shorter, more "cookbook" answers (including from yourself if
I am not mistaken ;-) -- especially when treating the original poster
like a "noob" in the eyes of some (e.g., the non-existance of the
remote .ssh directory, which a user who has used scp would probably
know).  So my post was trying to keep it that way.

No, I wasn't as short as somme others with just telling him to,
essentially, RTFM.  I mentioned that errors might result, and I could
follow up on any the user received if the "cookbook" didn't work.  There
are far more issues he can run into, by far.

FYI, there's nothing more enjoyable for myself than my talking about
public key encryption (I won't mention any specifics, because some would
view that as flaunting my resume).  But I restrained myself here.  I
hope you note this for the future.  ;->

</non-technical>

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com