[CentOS] building a new kernel, problems booting without initrd

Mon Dec 12 11:20:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 20:53 -0800, Richard Hubbell wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
> I have a need, but if it won't work, it won't work.  I may switch distribs
> if CentOS kernel is inextricably intertwined with the rest of the bits.
>
> FWIW I don't need/want selinux and can get by without nptl if it
> proves troublesome. The kernel also has way too much stuff in
> it that I don't need, etc., etc.
>
> The link you mention is broken.
> Dunno what gentoo's about so no comment there.
Don't take Jim's post to be negative (or mine either).

The problem is that the Kernel and GLIBC are the pieces that everything
else is built on ... and they are built to work together.

People think they are smarter than the paid developers at RH and they
want to build a kernel that doesn't have stuff they don't need ... but
that is not really required anymore.

With the adoption of modular kernels and initrd, you can dynamically
load the items that you need and remove the ones that you don't, and
lots of people get paid lots of money to make it happen right.  So, we
see a lot of people who mess up their systems because:

1.  They want the latest and greatest kernel ... (CentOS is enterprise
and therefore not latest and greatest)

2.  They want to remove items from their kernel ... (That don't load
anyway if they don't have a need, as they are kernel modules).

Now, if that is not you, then I apologize. But CentOS is painstakingly
rebuilt to mirror the binaries of an upstream vendor so that it works
exactly like that product ... and changing major bits of it (like kernel
or glibc) changes the whole distro.

Also. there are literally thousands of RH specific patches in the
kernel.