[CentOS] gconftool

Matt Lawrence a400hz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:48:13 UTC 2005

> In fact, it is my opinion (I know, but I thought I would share my
> opinion in this case) that one should never even login to the GUI screen
> as root at all.  But that is enabled by default upstream (so it is not
> changed in CentOS) and you can login as root to gnome or KDE if you
> want ... it is disabled on all my machines so that root can not login to
> the GUI.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a system architecture that requires LDAP
authentication of all non-root users.  I've already had to deal with
screwed up network configurations.

So, while I agree with you in theory, sometimes doing it right is out
of my control.  SIgh.

I also agree that a number of the RHEL4 defaults are not what I would
like.  Having CentOS work exactly the same is a great way to find
these issues before doing RHEL4 installs at work.  Thanks!

And, while I'm on a soapbox, the "minimal" set of packages from Red
Hat contains all sorts of stuff that I really don't think belong in a
minimal install.  ISDN, rawdevices & Bluetooth all come to mind.  For
that matter, I don't want NFS & NIS unless I ask for it.  So, if
somebody would like to pass that opinion on to TPTB at Red Hat, I
would appreciate it.

Please keep up the good work on CentOS.  Not only am I converting all
my systems over, I've convinced my roommate to convert all but one of
his systems to CentOS4.  Since he makes his living doing Windows
support for Dell, that should say something about how good CentOS4
is...

-- Matt