[CentOS] gconftool

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Mon Dec 12 17:51:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 11:44 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
>/ On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:36 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
/>/ > On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:54 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
/>/ > > I am using gconftool to set a number of parameters up automatically...
/>/ > > However, the one parameter I cannot find is under root
/>/ > > you should be able to set the "automatic login" on first boot up.
/>/ > >
/>/ > > This found under "Applications", "System settings", "Login screen", then
/>/ > > automatic login.
/>/ > >
/>/ > > Can someone point me to that setting?
/>/ > >
/>/ > You can't automatically login as root ... as that would be extremely
/>/ > unsafe and a very, Very, VERY bad thing to do :)
/>/ > _______________________________________________
/>/
/>/ >In fact, it is my opinion (I know, but I thought I would share my
/>/ >opinion in this case) that one should never even login to the GUI screen
/>/ >as root at all.  But that is enabled by default upstream (so it is not
/>/ >changed in CentOS) and you can login as root to gnome or KDE if you
/>/ >want ... it is disabled on all my machines so that root can not login to
/>/ >the GUI.
/>/
/>/
/>/ John,
/>/
/>/ Sorry for the missunderstanding... I am not trying to have root auto login.
/>/ I am trying to auto login a differnet user.
/>/
/>/ I was just pointing out that root had to set that setting up. The user cannot do that...
/>/ Sorry for the confusion.
/>/
/>/
/
>AH ... much better :)

>If you open what you said ...

>"Applications" -> "System settings" -> "Login screen"

>then on there is a "Automatic Login" section under the "General Tab" ...
>at least for CentOS 4.

John,

I realize I can change the setting there using the mouse to select the applications, system setting
login screen, etc... (i am also using 4.2) - however, I wish to do this with gconftool on the command line.
When I setup a machine I do not want to take the time to set it up using the mouse. just run a
quick command that uses gconftool to do it along with other things....

Jerry