[CentOS] compaq r4000 32 bit and 64 bit install

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 22:56:06 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> Gents,
>
> I first installed the 32 bit version (as you might have read) of centos 4.2,
> after downloading x86_64 the install process/progress is about the same.
> going VERY slow...
>
> The screen for formatting the partitions took a LONG time
> (3 partitions 10 GIG, 2 GIG swap and 50 GIG).
> While on that screen and moving the mouse it lagged big time and
> could not keep up.
>
> Anyway just reporting that so far the 32 bit install and the 64 bit install
> is Exactly the same. So I am expecting that after install my cpu speed will
> still be reported LOW (997M vs a 2.4GiG for a 4000+ cpu).

That may not indicate a problem, however. Like some other people said,
that Athlon has technology that slows down the CPU when it's not
needed.

What you need to do to see if it's broken or not is to start a few big
applications--maybe do something complicated with a big image in the
GIMP--and check cpuinfo again, while the CPU is busy. If it's still
997, maybe that's an issue. If so, turn off cpuspeed and see if that
fixes anything.

I'm not familiar with PowerNow!, but I had a centrino laptop for a
while and it did the same thing. It was really hard, by the way, to
catch it in the act of speeding up the processor. But the battery life
was great.