[CentOS] Printing Postscript - Very Weird Problem.

Maciej Żenczykowski

maze at cela.pl
Wed Dec 14 11:52:12 UTC 2005

Hey folks,

okay, here's the situation - I have a Centos 4.2 system with cups printing
installed printing via postcript (with appropriate PPD file) to a HP
LaserJet 1320N printer (via jetdirect socket 9100).

Everything seems to work right - except for an unusual 'font'??? problem.
Many letters seem to be just slightly garbled.  At first I thought this
was a mechanical problem at the printer (for weeks), but just this morning
I took a closer look and realized everything was too regular for it to be
a mechanical failure (ink smearing or something).

Anyway the problem is that the bottom non-empty scanline of _very_ many
letters/digits/symbols gets transposed over ontop of the topmost non-empty
scanline of the same character.

This results in the following conversion (rough ascii art - note there's a
lot more scanlines involved due to far higher resolution, which means this
is far more invisible).

|      AA      |    | AA        AA |
|     AAAA     |    |     AAAA     |
|    AA  AA    | => |    AA  AA    |
|   AAAAAAAA   |    |   AAAAAAAA   |
|  AA      AA  |    |  AA      AA  |
| AA        AA |    | AA        AA |

Any idea how to fix this?  What could be the problem?  How to figure out
what could be causing it?  It's a very good printer which has no other
faults, and it's printing the above characters very crisply... (not that
it matter seeing as they are bad...).

Cheers,
MaZe.